I had such a great vacation in Traverse City, Michigan! It’s a dream✨ for someone living in a landlocked state to be able to drive just a few hours and get my fill of lake time. It’s just a 7 hour road trip from our home in Cincinnati, Ohio, so there’s a hiiigh chance we will be back often.
Here are my Traverse City recommendations:
- Definitely get outdoors on your trip to Traverse City. With so much beautiful nature surrounding the city, it’s easy to do so. We took a bike, kayak, and brewery tour which took us all the way around downtown TC and I would recommend doing this on day 1 to get a lay of the land and figure out which breweries you’d like to return to!
- Next, we checked out the Leelanau Peninsula on our bike and winery tour and it was really fun! One thing I’d recommend you do is upgrade to the e-bikes if you aren’t an avid biker (like me) because checking out all the wineries we wanted to see really took it out of me! The bike trails were really peaceful and it was a nice way to see a different part of the area.
- Play sand volleyball in Clinch Park.
- Watch the sunsets at Sunset Park Beach.
- Play arcade games at The Coin Slot.
- On the brewery tour, we visited: Right Brain Brewery and they had SO many options to choose from so I recommend the 6 beer flight to try a bunch of them. We also visited Rare Bird Brewpub and I actually got their nitro cold brew martini on tap and some parmesan fries, both were delicious. Then, we visited Silver Spruce Brewing and I liked their cherry sour beer!
- During the wine and bike tour, we started in Suttons Bay. From there, we saw three different wineries (you could choose to visit more as well) and those were Shady Lane, Mawby, and Black Star. Then, we stopped to grab a beer at Hop Lot Brewing, which was a really nice outdoor space to hang in before driving back to TC.
- For a nice dinner out, I recommend Amical, Red Ginger, Poppycocks, and Taproot Cider House.
- For a casual bite, check out The Little Fleet for an outdoor space with a few food vendors to choose from.
- During our wine and bike tour, we stopped at a small cheese shop and it was so delicious, so definitely check out Leelanau Cheese.
- For dessert, we had cherry pie at Grand Traverse Pie Company, and try ice cream at both Moomer’s and Milk and Honey.
- Explore Fish Town in the Leelanau Peninsula. It’s a small fishing village full of locals with a beach to check out, and we ate at restaurant called The Cove which had an increeeedible smoked whitefish dip!
- Obviously, check out the nearby Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes (@sleepingbearnps) and hike to Pyramid Point. You may want to download some offline Google maps for this area, as we didn’t have very good service up there.
These were the best things we did during our 3 days, but there is so much more to see and do!